The Pittsburgh flag is made up of 2 major components: the three equal parts, two black and one gold, and the city coat of arms.
The coat of arms is made of a fortress (meant to represent the city of Pittsburgh) and a second area that displays a shield containing a blue and white checkered strip as well as 3 gold coins that contain birds with their wings displayed.
- The city is based at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers which turn into the Ohio River. The French established 'Fort Duquesne' in 1754 as a strategic trading post at the current site of the city, but this fort was destroyed and replaced by 'Fort Pitt' in 1758
- The city is named after William Pitt who was the first Earl of Chatham and a deciding player in Britain's rise at the expense of the French, specifically during the Seven Years War. The city's coat of arms was adapted from that of the Pitt family (pictured below)
- William Pitt was a large proponent of using Britain's naval power to seize French colonies around the globe - one of which was Fort Duquesne (the modern site of the City of Pittsburgh)
- Pittsburgh was defined by the growth of the steel industry of the 1970's - giving rise to its most prominent nickname: 'Steel City'. The region's steel trade has since collapsed and forced the city to recover around it by fostering such industries as high technology, healthcare and finance
- The city's NFL team is called the "Steelers" whose helmets display three 'hypocycloids' of four 'cusps'. The colors used represent the three ingredients in the steel-making process: yellow for coal, red for iron ore and blue for scrap steel
- The city and surrounding area is home to such companies as Allegheny Technologies, American Eagle Outfitters, 84 Lumber, Atlas America and Giant Eagle